Another first down

We’re nearing the end of the first cycle of chemo, and Davis has been doing really well. He’s so much more himself, even sucking his right thumb at night 2 nights ago, which he always did at home, but hasn’t done since we’ve been here. There’s so much more energy we see, and his physio work is paying off, as he’s sitting up by himself, and even standing and taking a few steps.

This morning, I came over to the hospital mid-morning, as last night was my “off” night, and was surprised to see he was free of all the machines. They’ve had him off the feeding tube during the days for the last few days (even though it has to stay in his nose), and had taken him off IV for little bits at a time. But today, he was unhooked when I got here, and the happy news was that he would be off it all day. As an added bonus, we had the option to take him out of the hospital during the day if we wanted. Wow!

We took it a bit easy this morning, just venturing down the hall to the amazing play room they have here just for this ward. It’s full of crafts, toys, games, Wii, XBox, Playstation, air hockey, and a bunch more. Our older kids loved being in there when they came to visit, but this was Davis’ first trip. I would tell you there are some pics below, but then you’ll stop reading and just go look at them, so I won’t tell you that yet.

He had a good time, checking out all the options, and even standing up and walking a bit, supported by tables. He’s been in bed for most of 4 weeks, and it’s surprising how fast muscle tone is lost. He’s going to have some work to do to get back to walking. But, like everything else, it’ll be one step at a time. Unlike everything else, this part will literally be one step at a time.

Yes, I just used literally, and actually meant "literally".

After an afternoon nap time, which gave Davis a chance to rest, Suzanne a chance to be at the suite for a while, and me a chance to have the TV on something other than Dora/Diego/Blue’s Clues (by “something other” I mean the Seahawks-Saints game, which was a fun game to watch), we packed up and headed out for a drive.

We’re still a bit paranoid cautious about germs, so we just went for a drive, picking up some drive-thru for dinner then a slow trip through Stanley Park. It was the first outdoor air for Davis in a month, and a fun time to drive through Granville Island and try to get Davis to see all the lights and big buildings instead of being all-consumed with his Frosty.

Guess which won out?

Still, it was a fun, if short, excursion, and we’ll try and get another one in tomorrow before he’ll start his 2nd round of chemo on Monday.

If the last first down we got was a quick slant, this was more of a 20-yard out with a great catch right on the sidelines. It’s a long throw (especially in the CFL, but that season’s done now), and the timing has to be right. And it’s a more satisfying play than a quick-hitter up the middle.

All in all, a great day. Being able to carry him around (and push him to walk just a little bit) without any tubes hooked up to machines, and to have him dressed in his own clothes, is such an amazing feeling right now. It’s another little slice of normal, and for that we are very thankful. We’ve always known that there’s light at the end of the tunnel, no matter what happens, and it’s great to be able to get a glimpse of one of those lights.

We’ve still got a long way to go, and we continue to pray for miraculously fast healing. Yet not what we will, but what God wills, and we continue to pray for open eyes to see and take opportunities to be a light to others along the way too.

You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
Matthew 5:14-16